How do I stay in Europe for more than 90 days in every 180 days?

The French long-stay visa, allows you to enter and stay in France from 4 months to 1 year, generally our owners get a 6month visa. If you are an adult, you must apply for a long-stay visa even if your nationality does not require a short-stay visa. Many of our current owners use this process to spend the season in France.  You can also use your Schengen days as well.
More information: https://sites.google.com/view/180-days-in-france/home
Australians should look at (Bi-lateral Agreements with some Schengen countries) that are available

Do I have to pay VAT in the UK?

Piper barges are supplied at 0% VAT in the UK as defined in VAT NOTICE 744C

Do I have to pay VAT/TVA for my boat in Europe if my boat is registered in the UK?

If you take your boat into Europe, you do so under Temporary Import, which gives you 18 months. After 18 months you have the option of having your boat valued and paying the TVA or if you leave the EU and as an example and go back into UK waters or enter Switzerland (Basel has a nice marina) then your Temporary Import will start again when you re-enter Europe which gives you another 18 months, you can do this as many times as you like.

My Boat is registered in the UK, can I take my boat to Europe and back to the UK without having to pay VAT/TVA?

Yes under the Temporary import laws which gives you 18 months of travel in Europe, see above

Can you help me take my boat to Europe from the UK?

Yes we can help you or help you arrange with a qualified skipper to do so.

Can you help me with Moorings in UK?

Yes, we are aware of some fabulous moorings on the Thames that are currently available

Do I need a licence to drive a Piper Dutch Barge?

You will need a VHF Licence in the UK if you cruise on the non-tidal Thames or coastal waters

What Qualifications do I need and how do I get them?

ICC Inland over 10m qualification for use in Europe – https://www.bishamabbeysailing.co.uk/
Practical 2-day course on our 17m Dutch Barge for clients with little or no prior experience who are looking to use their own boat throughout the European Inland Waterways. An IWHC certificate will be attained which can be converted via the RYA to an ICC over 10m, when supported with a CEVNI certificate.

We also recommend but it is not a legal requirement

RYA Inland Waters Helmsman Certificate – https://www.bishamabbeysailing.co.uk/
Practical 2-day course for clients with no prior experience who are looking to buy a motor boat or those who are looking to formalize skill levels to reduce vessel insurance. no legal requirement for this

Do you have a base in France?

Yes, we have PIPER PORT, 3 Quai du Canal, St Usage, 21170 Francee

Can you offer moorings in France?

Yes, we offer discounted moorings for Piper Barge Owners which have electricity and water at our PIPER PORT, 3 Quai du Canal, St Usage, 21170 France

What maintenance and costs will I pay in the first 5 years of owning a boat?

Your boat will need servicing normally annually depending upon usage. The cost of servicing a Piper boat is in line with the typical servicing costs of a premium motor car. Piper boats can arrange this for you
If you choose to antifoul the hull, then this will be maintenance. Higher-grade systems like copper coat will not need any maintenance in the first 5 years, but lesser systems will need re-coating every 2-3 years.

Depending on where the boat is kept over winter, then the boat may need winterising. This is a very simple process and is covered in our “how to do it” guide

An annual allowance of £1500 will more than cover the upkeep of the boat and will allow for any unexpected costs

Assuming the boat is kept in France then you should also allow for these annual costs

  • Moorings 2000-3000 euros
  • Vignette (license fee) 700-900 euros
  • Boat insurance is about 1200 euros

What level of support will I get on my boat in France?

Piper boats carry any warranty and servicing at the base in St. Jean de Losne. We host annual events where boats gather for a social event. Usually any work is carried out at these events which is a good way to reduce costs

Do you have more questions?

Feel free to contact us, we may even be able to put you in contact with an existing owner if we can’t answer your questions

Piper Boats, its employees, and contributors shall not be liable for any loss, damage or inconvenience of any kind, howsoever arising in connection with the use of and/or reliance on such advice, save to the extent required by applicable law.